Tuesday 23 June 2015

Reasons I Love Being A Dog Owner



I've written a few posts now about my interests and thought it's about time I include the man that brightens every day and makes my life so much more interesting... my pooch (of course my fiance does too but this one's canines only!). One of my loves in life, actually scrap that, one of the main loves of my life is a certain Chocolate Labrador named Harvey. 


Owning a dog isn't always easy. Yes they become your furry four-legged children and are amazing creatures but when you're dog is moulting everywhere resulting in excessive hovering or has explosive diarrhea which you're cleaning up after in the garden, lets just say it's a little less glamorous than these images you see of the perfect happy family with the perfectly behaved canine. That being said, I believe that owning a dog, or any other pet for that matter, is an absolute joy and one which I would recommend to anyone who has room in their heart and home. Why is this? Keep reading...

Loyalty

There is no one more loyal than a well looked after, happy pooch; i'm sure many people will agree. Dog's are not fake and if you know your dog you can tell how they're feeling pretty easily. There are no secrets with these beautiful creatures and no matter how you're feeling they will not treat you any differently and are always ready for a fuss. Now you try finding these qualities in a human! I'm not saying dogs don't play up, disobey you or test your patience at times but who else could you come home to everyday who happily greets you at the door and offer unconditional love?

Harvey has made me want to generally be a better person. I recently came across a quote in my doggy calendar that says 'Always Be The Person That Your Dog Thinks You Are.' Is there a more inspirational canine related quote? 


Exercise

As a teenager, I never really understood the joy of dog walking. Now I'm older and wiser (apparantly  wiser - who thought of this saying really?), I love nothing more than getting up early (shock horror) and taking Harvey out for his morning walk. It's great exercise for both of us and even better it wakes me up being out in the fresh morning air and makes me feel energised and ready for the day. Similarly in the evening it's a great way to unwind from the day by taking a walk outside before cooking the routine evening meal. It's also a great reason to get out at the weekend and travel to nearby parks and walking trails, it's amazing how much more I now love the outdoors, no matter the weather!


Structured Days

Quite simply, my days are structured around Harvey. From walks, to preparing his food for the week (we don't feed him commercial dog food) and making sure he's never left alone for too long, every day of my life is worked around him. I suppose it would be a little like having children in that respect, not that i'd really know that yet! Having a structured day makes it a little more purposeful and keeps Harvey in a routine which he's comfortable and happy with. 


Companionship

They are your companion for life, whether that be a few years or hopefully 10+ years as we all wish and hope for. If I'm ever alone in the house it's feels incredibly strange not hearing claws tapping against the laminate flooring. Although I'm not sure if this applies to everyone, I never feel lonely having Harvey around constantly talk to him. Not in an 'I'm going crazy talking talking out loud' way but more a 'I'm going to talk to my dog like he can understand and talk back to me' kind of way. This doesn't make me crazy, right?
Dogs can be seen as great therapy for anyone suffering with depression or anxiety and I really believe in that. I recently discovered a website called Dogs For Depression which I really recommend taking a look at. It's really opened my mind up to how amazing dogs are and how humans and canines can really help one another. 


I couldn't be without a dog in my life and although I realise Harvey will not be around forever, it makes me cherish and appreciate every day just that little bit more. Dogs have no conscience time restrictions or fear of death in their lives, something I do envy from time to time. They live in the here and now and teach you to appreciate the simple things in life.

If you have a dog (or other pet for that matter) comment their name and a picture below. I love seeing pictures of your companions, aren't they just amazing? 

Sam Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment